Sunday, October 25, 2009

Windows 7 - My first Impressions

I recieved my upgrade to Windows 7 yesterday so I wanted to make a few comments on it before part 2 of the La Salle street walk.

Overall so far Windows 7 is working. My biggest complaint was how long it took to do the upgrade - around 2 1/2 hours. If I did a clean install it would have been about 20 minutes or so I've been told. I guess the amount of time would be a wash since a clean install would have forced me to reinstall all my applications plus all my documents, photos and music. Windows 7 in all its glory is posted below.



Windows 7 is simliar to Vista but there are changes. The taskbar,which I have at the bottom, can act much like Apple's Dock. You can "pin" applications for quicker opening. Right know I have IE8, iTunes, Windows Live Mail and Excel pinned. For this screen shot I moved a couple of my gadgets to the middle, something new in Window 7. In Vista these gadgets lived in the sidebar which took over the righthand side of the screen. The sidebar is now gone and gadgets are allowed to roam free :)

I have yet to have any problems with my day to day applications. So that's good news. Even IE8 is behaving. On Windows 7 launch day, October 22nd, I had a great surprise in the morning when Microsoft forced IE8 onto me :(, and just like other expriences with it under Vista it consitantly crashed. So far IE8 on Windows 7 hasn't crashed :) I had to install Live Windows Mail before the upgrade because Windows 7 doesn't come with an email program and you will loose your mail in the process.

This morning I moved onto some multimedia stuff in Windows Media Center. Microsoft has added internet TV capability and I can now get the sub-channels with my tuner. See below.



I haven't tried to burn anything yet or play a dvd but I don't forsee any problems. Well that's my quick summary of Windows 7, if anything warrants it, I might blog about it in the future.

No comments: