Saturday, August 2, 2008

The 64 Year Question




I haven't had much of a chance to take photos lately, typical summer weather of heat and humidity has kept me in. Today wasn't one of those day's strong northeast winds, temps around 80 and low humidty made it a great day to take a walk. I went downtown and started the walk at Dearborn and Lake, walked lake to Jefferson and then Jefferson to 14th place where it ends. I had to walk over to Canal up to 16th back to Jefferson then up to 18th and 18th back to Halsted. All and all a great walk and I hope to post more pictures later.

The bottom photo is my recreation of Cushman's photo taken almost 64 years earlier. While we decry pollution today, I think we fail to realize how dirty a Coal burning world was. The Merchandise Mart was a little more than 10 years old when Cushman took his photo but it looks like a century has passed.

2 comments:

Tom Gill said...

Pretty close!!

I agree, I remember seeing lots of the buildings downtown covered in soot. It was so drab looking. I think it was in the 80's when they started to really clean up the buildings. It certainly makes things look better.

Brokecompsoul said...

I think Charles was zoomed in more