Monday, July 7, 2008

Old Standard Federal


Old Standard Federal, originally uploaded by kendoman26.

The 4th of July weekend didn't lend itself to great photo opportunites. I had problems at the apartment on Friday and Sunday was too hot. Saturday was ok and so I decided to go down to the old hood and photograph Archer Avenue.

Brighton Park's main business district was Archer Avenue from Kedzie to California. Here at Sacremento we have perhaps the most impressive structure on Archer Avenue. The Old Standard Federal Savings (Later Bank) I believe Standard Federal had sat on this corner since the mid 1920's. I remember in the mid-80's when I first got an account at this S&L being impressed by the 14-15 teller windows.

Standard became a bank after the S&L crisis. It remained indepedent for another 10 years and then TCF came to town and bought them out. I haven't been impressed with TCF. In fact I hate them but since it hard to change checking accounts I remain. The last time I was in the lobby of this impressive building, TCF had two tellers working. What a waste of space :(

2 comments:

Tom Gill said...

Love this old place. I guess it's not too old, but it was built back when character meant something. I remember going there as a kid, the sidewalks had glitter in them and would shine as you walked along them, the inside had marble floors and very tall ceilings (their Christmas tree was always great too). The tall facade and the eagle on the corner serve no structural purpose - only to highlight the entrance and make the building and patron feel important.

Great building.

Brokecompsoul said...

Not sure how old it is either, but I'm under the impression that the exterior is newer than the skeleton. The Brighton Park Life had an article back in the '80's about Standard Federal. What I remember of the article they started in Bridgeport and then moved to this location.

The article featured a picture of an older structure with that same eagle at the top.