Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Fallen Silverscreen


Ramova Theatre, originally uploaded by kendoman26.

I decided to walk around the neighborhood on a beautiful January afternoon.

Here we have the long shuttered Ramova theatre in much disrepair. From time to time I hear about attempts of reopening it as a live venue. I hear a lot of things around Bridgeport, like were going to be the next Wicker Park, and though we have the Bridgeport Cafe at 31st and Morgan I don't see any real signs of that occurring.

My mother's first job was selling tickets at this theatre.

4 comments:

Tom Gill said...

Wow, I did't know your mom worked there!!

The terra cotta looks to be in decent shape. You just don't see details like that anymore.

Glad you captured it.

Anonymous said...

I love the contrast between the crumbling theater and the shiny car parked in front.

Brokecompsoul said...

I hoping they do something soon

B News said...

Charlie Chaplin screened the opening night of his film "little dictator" at the Ramova. Historians claim that it was the one thing that made Hitler cry during the war, because his hero was making fun of him.