Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Looking for Red-wing Blackbirds


Take me home, originally uploaded by kendoman26.

On Sunday I paid a visit to the grounds of the nature museum at Fullerton and LSD. I was trying to get photos of the red-winged blackbird. The best I could do was a sort of blury pic of one with his back toward me.

Well that wasn't going to do, so on Tuesday I went to Northerly Island (formerly Megis Field) to try again. The praire grasses haven't grown much but there was many red-winged blackbirds. These birds seem to sense when you want to photograh them. They fly away laughing at your. Eventually I found some calmer ones in the grass and with the 12x zoom on the kodak I was able to get photos of them.

This photo is unique. I had just walked back to were the Planetarium is to get the 146 back to Roosevelt and the L. This little fellow decides to fly onto the garbage can at the right of the photo. I had already put my camera away so I couldn't capture the moment but he then flew onto the ground and I snapped this shot. It was like he wanted me to take him home LOL!

2 comments:

Tom Gill said...

You should have taken him home, he'd fit in your crock pot!

Brokecompsoul said...

I think the crock pot has room for him and three of his friends LOL